Trying to replace HashMap with SmoothieMap could be interesting

There is an interesting OpenHFT project called SmoothieMap:

or

Would interesting to see if the GraphHopper preparation or Dijkstra or jsprit optimization could benefit from this.

Hi Peter,

I just tried SmoothieMap to store Nodes. I get a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded exception at approximately 350k nodes.

Not sure why this happens. I even tried to initialize the map with the matching capacity. I tried to save a copy of the OSMNode.

Best,
Robin

Are you using the map for the Dijkstra, for the import or at which part did you replace it?

GC overhead limit means if either too many garbage is produced or if the memory is low or both, see here. Maybe the rehashing is called too often and a pre-set for an initial size could reduce garbage creation.

Yes sorry, I was to fast with posting. Was probably my fault.

Currently playing around with importing OSM data.

You can have a look at the various map options I played before implementing GraphHopper :wink:

Hi Peter,

cannot click the link of your reply? Probably you linked to the experimental repo?

Thanks for your support.

BTW: Problem was that I was running the thing with standard JVM RAM (256?). Was way to less.

Best,
Robin

Ups, here is the link.

cannot click the link of your reply? Probably you linked to the experimental repo?

The problem of the missing link is a bug in discourse I posted today :wink:

BTW: Problem was that I was running the thing with standard JVM RAM (256?). Was way to less.

via GH script this should be 1g, otherwise this is 500mb or so. OS dependent e.g. different for 32 vs. 64 bit