Out of bounds, why?

Hello,

Totally new to Graphhopper and I am using a local API version trying to get a first request working. I loaded the map of swedden and have this request:
http://localhost:8989/route?point=0%2C36&point=52.5060440%2C13.4378107&profile=car

the error is:
{“message”:“Point 0 is out of bounds: 0.0,36.0, the bounds are: -5.5190044,10.3005044,35.7094434,45.1135046”,“hints”:[{“message”:“Point 0 is out of bounds: 0.0,36.0, the bounds are: -5.5190044,10.3005044,35.7094434,45.1135046”,“details”:“com.graphhopper.util.exceptions.PointOutOfBoundsException”,“point_index”:0}]}

the point is just me trying to figure out what is wrong. This point should be inside the bounding box. What am I missing?

If you have only the map of Sweden, then obviously coordinates outside like this (Eastern Africa) will fail.

thanks. that’s for sure. What I don’t understand is how 0.0, 36.0 is out of bounds with these bounds:
"the bounds are: -5.5190044,10.3005044,35.7094434,45.1135046”

The point is not important, I just want to understand the bounds for now.

The bbox is given as minLon, maxLon, minLat, maxLat. So the -5…10 range is regarding the longitude. And the area is between this start and end location:

(but this is also not sweden!?)

thank you for your quick response.
Since I am very new to this, what could be a good point0 and point1 with these bounds ? again it doesn’t really matter what points, just so that I can get an answer from the API and go from there.

Not sure what you mean. If you import a pbf for a specific area then any coordinate inside this area is a “good” point.

You can also open http://localhost:8989/maps/ to see the bounds on the map and right click on the map to start and end a route and investigate the area a bit easier than with the /route endpoint.

Ahhh, actually the bounds on the map are in spain! But then I have another error: cannot find points.
I tried multiple points, clearly on a road but same error. So now, maybe there is definitively something wrong with my setup. One more info, actually I tried multiple maps and the bounds are always the same (as in the picture) though it looks like the map was read correctly. This is the command line I am using:

java -D"dw.graphhopper.datareader.file=sweden-latest.osm.pbf" -jar graphhopper*.jar server config-example.yml

I didn’t change the config-example and I deleted the cache but same result

I was able to make some progress:

1. I loaded different maps (osm.pbf) from geofrabrik and some are “working”. For australia for example the bounding box is the whole bottom of earth but then I was able to get point in that bounding box. France bounding box is “perfect” and everything I wanted to do worked well.

2. is there any way to manually set the bounding box of the file if I see it is not correctly calculated? (modifying graph-cache data ?) Like at this time sweden.osm.pbf doesn’t have the right bounding box (at least when I load it)

thanks

The bounding box is contained in the pbf file, so there is no way to change it. It looks as if you have a broken pbf file for Sweden. Have you tried to download it from geofabrik once again and deleted the graph folder before starting?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.