Import of changes

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I was expecting to have been, but couldn’t find anything.

I have an existing server running into which the planet PBF file was loaded.

What are my options for applying updates ?

1. Can I load one or more change sets (perhaps with pre-processing them through something like OSMUpdate.
  2. If I have to reload the entire PBF file can that be done whilst the server is running, or must I stop it, clear out the data (?) and reload it ?

Manu thanks for any help / pointers to information.

Welcome Steve.

Can I load one or more change sets (perhaps with pre-processing them through something like OSMUpdate.

This is not possible with GraphHopper but you can easily merge multiple PBFs into one with osmconvert: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmconvert#Merging_two_or_more_Geographical_Areas

If I have to reload the entire PBF file can that be done whilst the server is running, or must I stop it, clear out the data (?) and reload it ?

It is required to drop the graph folder and do an entire re-import yes. Still multiple graphhopper instances can run on the same server (using a different port, or with multiple GraphHopper.java instances even in one JVM but this requires change in the source code, see https://github.com/graphhopper/graphhopper/issues/211). Furthermore you can even remove the graph folder while the service is running, if you are using graph.dataaccess: RAM_STORE

Hi Peter,
Many thanks for your response.
Ok, that’s not quite what I want as I just sought to grab the changes deltas. These are only available in XML format as far as I can tell. So it’s not quite joining multiple PBF’s (unless I am missing something).

Steve

You can also merge xmls and i think it is possible to apply the xml changes with a similar tool. Graphhopper can import xml too.

Being able to partially update the files from either changefiles, or perhaps simpler, an updated pbf for a given region would be an amazing feature to have. When using graphhopper at the continental scale it becomes quite costly to generate a new graph.