Custom Model urban cycling routing issues: avoiding sharp corners and stiles with cargo bikes

Turning sharp corners is not only hard for trucks and cars but also bicycles. By employing legacy infrastructure on cycle routes. Cycle networks can be patchy in this way – the new sections good but the old sections poor. Paths may not be designed for bicycles. Problems arise riding cargo bikes on these old paths.

Two problems arise because of this:

1. Two paths will intersect. The cyclist needs to navigate a very sharp right or left turn to follow the route. The paths are so narrow that the cyclist will be crossing the centre line into oncoming bikes or leaving the path entirely. Sharp corners are dangerous, slow, and best avoided.
  2. Old infrastructure has old barriers that can be difficult or impossible to pass with cargo bikes or bikes with trailers.

Routing solutions:

1. Is it possible with the Custom Model to detect sharp corners and reduce priority of those intersection (“edges” on that node) thus favouring an alternate route. How is this done?
  2. OpenStreetMap database includes barriers. Is it possible using the Custom Model to avoid routes with stiles and other types of barriers on them (e.g. by reducing priority of “edges” on which the barrier is found). How is this done?

I am interested in cargo bikes or bikes with trailers. I would therefore like to use the Custom Model to avoid routes with sharp corners and barriers such as stiles. The fewer problems, the better. :blush: How is this done?

Have a look:

Thanks: I could not get this to work in the browser map Custom Edit.

How about the other problem:
OpenStreetMap database includes barriers. Is it possible using the Custom Model to avoid routes with stiles and other types of barriers on them. How is this done?

Barriers have the permission in OSM. See image.

Barrier tags are currently baked into the car/bike/foot/etc_access encoded values, so they are not accessible by itself in custom models. But if you need finer-grained control over barrier handling it shouldn’t be hard to create a separate encoded value for this. Otherwise of course you could simply adjust the barrier handling of the access encoded values.

See here: Routing to avoid stiles - #3 by karussell

Thanks. I have concluded my investigations at this time.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.