Can the API suggest the best starting time for a trip

Hi all
I hope there are some great minds out there that can help us solve this issue.

Do any of you know what data we must send to create the perfect stating time for a trip that must uphold timewindows.

We are sending in the earliest starting time for the trip, and want to be able to read from the api result what the best starting time is.

It is our undestanding that Earliest starting time is the earliest time and not a fixed time, and that the trip can start later if that creates the best trip.

We set the earliest starting time to 21:00 for a vehicle as a standard and send in a VRP request with multiple stops.

Example that will create waiting time 2 times:

A: 2 stops can be delivered from 21:00 to 07:00 (Trip starts 21:00 day one, and can be delivered until 07:00 next morning)

B: 10 stops can be delivered from 00:00 to 17:00 (over midnight until 17:00)

C: 4 stop can be delivered from 08:00 12:00 (Delivery on day 2 on that trip)

Result will be:

A: Deliver the 2 stops from 21:00
B: Waitingtime to start delivering the 10 stops after 00:00
C: Waiting time to deliver the 4 stops that can be delivered after 08:00

But how can we move the starting time to get the shortest waiting time.

In this case the best option would be:

A: Start the trip and deliver A: as close to 07:00 as possible and ensure the A is delivered before 07:00 and fil up with B: until after 08:00, and mix B and C the rest of the trip.

This will create no waiting time for this trip and shortest trip also

Is there a parameter we can use to tell the API that starting can be moved?

And how do we see what the best starting time should be.

I hope there are some great minds out there that can help.

Kind regards
Bo
Dropboy AS

1 Like

It is our undestanding that Earliest starting time is the earliest time and not a fixed time, and that the trip can start later if that creates the best trip.

Unfortunately the naming is a bit misleading as earliest_start is (still) a fixed value.

Example that will create waiting time 2 times:

Can you send a support request with the actual JSON (or a private message here)?

Thank you for the support. We think we solved most of the issue and we might have a solution for you regarding how we calculate the lastes possible starting time based on the waiting time ect. returned from the VRP.

I am sure we can share this solution when we are done testing it. For now it looks prosper.

Kind regards
Bo

Hi,

I would be very interested in your solution @Dropboy , as we are facing similar challenges.

Kind regards
Anthony

Hi Anthony

I will introduce Jacob to you later today.

He is the one that solved the issue and can take full credit :slight_smile:

Please send me your email so I can forward it to Jacob.

Kind regards
Bo