However, somehow the AutoComplete in the input fields doesn’t seem to work. The street names are recognized and implemented, but there is no automatic completion. Is that correct or a mistake? I wonder if I configured the API key correctly. How can I check this?
Plus, I am currently using an API key from graphhopper.com which would also be expensive after the trial period has expired (14 days). I’m a private user/developer with no commercial intention. So I was wondering if can replace this API with something cheaper or even free / open source. I’d like to build a wheelchair navigation system (mainly for myself).
Thank you also for the hint with the free package. I wasn’t aware of that. It seems to suit my needs perfectly, so that might be the best solution.
I’m aware that the main purpose and focus of Graphhopper is to do routing. However, I wasn’t aware that it’s only meant to be a demo. So far, I’ve seen it as full-fledged open source project. After all, what’s the use of a routing service without the other parts of the eco system, like map display.
Anyway, would it be possible with the setup of the API key for geocoding, so that autocomplete works as expected?
GraphHopper is a full-fledged open source project (like you said routing is the focus) and “GraphHopper Maps” uses external services like maps and geocoding and so internet access is required. It was originally meant as a demo of the routing stuff but has certainly evolved over the years but the code is a mess and so we call it only a demo. For production you can use it but we only recommend to use the server-side.
After all, what’s the use of a routing service without the other parts of the eco system, like map display
Geocoding and maps are completely different problems. You can try to implement this too, but we decided to avoid it.
cd .. ; ./graphhopper.sh -a web -i europe_germany_rheinland-pfalz.pbf
Finally, I reloaded the page in the browser and tried to type somethingj n the first input field. Still no autocomplete. I inspected what’s happenning with the network monitor of the Chrome developer tools, but there no requests being sent when I type…
I have uncommented the lines in my config.yml to serve the files from web/src/ but I also always delete the whole contents of web/target/ before starting GH to make sure that everything is freshly rebuilt…