Improvement of turn instruction for highway entrance

When you get the turn instruction to enter a highway it is a simple “keep/turn right” (or “keep/turn left” if left hand traffic). E. g. here.

From my point of view there is a fairly easy improvement possible (I hope I’m not too naive here):
If you are coming from another major highway (primary, secondary, tertiery, unclassified, residential, …) and going to the key/tag “highway=motorway_link” the instruction could be something like “enter highway”. The tag “motorway_link” is used 711.000 times all over the world, but of course not all of them are coming from another major highway. taginfo

If in combination with the key “destination|destination:forward” or “destination:ref” it should be used in the instruction as well.

This would be a great improvement for the car/motorcycle instructions from my point of view!

1 Like

the instruction could be something like “enter highway”

This could be a nice and cheap improvement, yes. ‘Cheap’ because we already have the information with the road_class and road_class_link encoded values. Maybe you have interests in contributing such a change with a simple test showing that it works?

If in combination with the key “destination|destination:forward” or “destination:ref” it should be used in the instruction as well.

This would be another issue. See: Instructions/Name: Parse destination tag · Issue #1086 · graphhopper/graphhopper · GitHub

Good to hear! Yes, I would love to assist by testing. Just give me a hint when and how and I will test!

Good to know, that there is progress already in this direction.

Yes, I would love to assist by testing.

I meant contributing the code for this improvement. Would you have time to invest into this? Would be highly appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m afraid, my coding skills are not sufficient to do such work. Sorry!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.